Specialty Drug Programs
Specialty medications include those used in the treatment of complex medical conditions, such as hepatitis, lung disorders, multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis and other conditions requiring specialty medications.
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas has a specialty pharmacy program through Prime Therapeutics Specialty Pharmacy (Prime Specialty Pharmacy). Members can have covered specialty medications delivered directly to them or their doctor’s office. When you purchase specialty medications through Prime Specialty Pharmacy, you also receive at no additional charge the following services:
- Coordination of coverage between you, your doctor and Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas
- Educational materials about your particular condition and information about managing potential medication side effects
- Syringes, sharps containers and other supplies with every shipment for self-injectables
- 24/7/365 phone access to a pharmacist for urgent medication issues.
To Order through Prime Specialty Pharmacy:
- Have your doctor call or fax your prescriptions to Prime Specialty Pharmacy. Your doctor can call 877-627-MEDS(6337) or fax the prescription and the Prime Specialty Pharmacy Fax Form to 877-828-3939.
- A Prime Specialty Pharmacypatient care coordinator will contact you to arrange delivery of your medication.
If you have questions regarding the specialty program or benefit coverage, please contact Prime Specialty Pharmacy at 877-627-MEDS(6337) or call the Customer Service number on the back of your ID card.
Accredo Health Group – Hemophilia Medications
To order, contact Accredo at (866) 591-9075.
TAP Pharmacy Solutions – Lupron
To order, contact TAP at (800) 859-0220.
*Prime Therapeutics Specialty Pharmacy LLC (Prime Specialty Pharmacy) is a wholly owned subsidiary of Prime Therapeutics LLC, a pharmacy benefit management company. Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas contracts with Prime Therapeutics to provide pharmacy benefit management, prescription home delivery and specialty pharmacy services. Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas, as well as several other independent Blue Cross and Blue Shield Plans, has an ownership interest in Prime Therapeutics.